Friday, October 12, 2012

Hardware for Dummies


Retrieved on October 12, 2012 from http://www.fullercomputer.com/home_repair.php

If there was a book called, Hardware for Dummies, I would have needed it until this past week. In my Technology for Educators class this week, our readings dealt primarily with understanding computer hardware related to educators.  Previously at the mention of the words, “computer hardware, motherboard, or CPU,” I would have tuned out. However I now feel confident in my knowledge about the names of the basic components of a computer and what their basic functions are. I now know that the CPU stands for the central processing unit. It is part of the motherboard, also referred to as the processor, and controls storage, input, ouput, and more.  I am sill puzzled by how to fix or deal with a computer problem, but at least I have a better understanding of computer hardware vocabulary and how each part works together.  I hope to be able to pass on my basic set of knowledge on this subject to my students, and help them understand the purpose of each unique piece of a computer’s hardware.

Retrieved on October 12, 2012 from http://linda-oroke-esl-class.com/computers_websites

Sources:

Shelly, G.B., Gunter G.A., & Gunter R.E., (2012). Teachers discovering computers: Intergrating technology
       in a connected world.7th ed. Boston, MA: Course Technology.



4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way you do about technology. I use computers all day for school and work; however, my knowledge on computers is very slim. I found this week’s reading chapter and module web links to be very informative. I still get those question marks in my mind when it comes to computers, but I do understand more about computers than I did before I started Technology for Educators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your first sentence, "If there was a book called, Hardware for Dummies, I would have needed it until this past week." I can completely relate to you on that statement! Earlier in the week, I couldn't figure out why my printer was only printing out half of the page, so I looked at the first website listed under Teacher-Specific Troubleshooting Resources in Module 7. Computer Troubleshooting for Teachers and Students had a great section on printer and scanner troubleshooting that helped me to diagnose the problem that I was having with my printer. It wound up being that I forgot to take all of the safety tape off of my new printer! (I know... Duh!) As sad as it sounds, I would have never thought of checking that out unless I saw that in the problems and solutions section of the website.
    Like you, I have learned a great deal about hardware and each function from this module, but still struggle with troubleshooting. But then again, isn't that what troubleshooting resources/websites are for?! Thank you for your post!

    Respectfully,
    Kim H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,

    You said, "I am sill puzzled by how to fix or deal with a computer problem, but at least I have a better understanding of computer hardware vocabulary and how each part works together." ...and I feel the same way! haha I feel confident that I could search and find the problem and be able to fix it because of all the resources we have been given and found. It's funny to think of how much I didn't know about hardware and I use it 80-90% of my day!

    Thank you for your well written post.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardware for Dummies would be a best seller in my house too! What I found to be the most interesting about the module this week was how surprised I was at how much I did NOT remember about the so-called basics of computers and technology. We take for granted the concepts of bits and bytes...ram and rom. As a matter of fact, I would think that most students in my 6th grade class would have no idea what a bit or byte even is! We are so far forward with giga- and terra- these days that we have gotten away from the foundation.

    As far as the puzzle of fixing and troubleshooting problems, I still find the best fix to be the Tech guy at work or, if last resorts call for it...GeekSquad. I have yet to need to pay for a fix (that sounds bad, I know), but my crashed computer is collecting dust and needs a good fixing!

    Thanks for the post!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete