Friday, October 26, 2012

Creating an educational website!?!

retrieved on October 26, from http://bigdrawmarketing.com/web-development/web-design/

As part of our Technology for educator’s class this week, we had to begin a web page. I chose to use wiki spaces, and had to stop after a brief set up. After feeling overwhelmed, I began to search for some additional guidance on line. I found the attached video to help me better understand the importance and use of digital media and the presence of a website. I plan on now inputting graphics, audio, animation, and video with my wiki site to further enhance my students learning. "The ability of users to interact with a digital media application is perhaps the single most critical feature of digital media because it has enormous potential to improve teaching and learning..." (Shelly 207).  Students crave the use of technology. It not only engages the learner, but the use of multimedia allows students to preserve more of their knowledge.  My students are only in pre-k , but they all have computer access in their home and at school. I think having a classroom site would allow their parents to see what they are working on and some fun ways to connect their lessons at home. After my readings and internet search this week, I feel I have a better understanding on how to use and create my “wikispace” to best meet the needs of my students. 



retrieved on October 25th from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-msld_7j7T0


Shelly, G.B., Gunter, G.A., Gunter, R.E. (2012). Teachers discovering computers: Integrating technology in a connected world. Course Technology. Boston, MA.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Katy,
    Creating a wiki page can be very confusing but once you get an idea how to use it, it can be a great tool. I created one before in another class and I still find it a bit daunting.I am not sure how much help a wiki page can be for teaching Prek but it is great for middle school or high school.
    Jodie G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also not familiar with creating a Wiki, nor a blog. We are being challenged in ways to help imrove our students education.I also plan on researching and finding some tutorials to help me understand how to create a wiki page. I know once we understand how to navigate and create a wiki page it will be easier. I think wiki pages will work great for elementary, middle, and high school students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have never used a Wiki either. Several years ago, my wife was in undergrad and had to do a Wiki page and I had NO IDEA what she was talking about. It totally slipped my mind until I started this class and it was brought up again. Now that I half-way understand the concept, it makes more sense.

    Since the blog assignment this week was to talk a bit about a digital storytelling assignment that you would give...maybe a good idea would be to create a Wiki digital story? Maybe have students go through the motions of selecting a topic and creating a format, etc.

    Just a thought!

    I have a question that I would like to ask, and I am asking all of the students in our class the same thing:

    How much time should content area teachers spend teaching students how to use programs like Prezi or other digital storytelling platforms? I mean, in a time when we are given more content to cover and fewer hours/days to deliver it...can we afford to spend time showing students (those who do not understand) how to use the digital platforms? Or better yet, can we afford to NOT teach them?

    ReplyDelete