Saturday, November 24, 2012

I did it!!!!


This week in my technology for educators class we had to create a culminating project based on a digital story for our future or current students. It involved setting us a website via wikispaces, creating a home,curriculum,lesson plan, and rubric page. I felt like I was never going to complete it, but here it is. http://robertspre-k.wikispaces.com/home Please check it out.

Thank you to my readers and commentors for your feedback on the project. I took what you guys said seriously and made some changes. I think one of the biggest challenges was creating a rubric and lesson plan for 2nd graders.  As a pre-k ESE teacher rubrics and Florida sunshine standards do not apply to me. I plan on teaching regular ed in the future, so this assignment was a good stepping stone. I also seemed to have alot of trouble uploading my digital story to both my wiki site and my blog. It must have taken me two hours today to finally get in loaded onto my wikispace. I was so frustrated, but will be able to use what I learned with my future students.  Although I was frustrated at times, creating the digital story itself was a lot of fun. I am still amazed at the technology we have at our fingertips.  I think digital stroytelling is a great tool for all subject areas, especially for reading and writing.  I used microsoft photostory 3 rather than prezi because I felt it was more user friendly for me and younger students. It is a great, free and easy to use program. I highly recommend it. Hope you enjoy the video and learn something new about penguins. :)

5 comments:

  1. Katy, I must say, your digital story is amazing. If I were a second grader, I would absolutely love watching it! (Actually, I loved watching it and I am definitely NOT a second grader :) It sounds as though this experience has been challenging, but well worth the effort. I completely agree with you. At times, I didn't know when I would find the time or the energy, but it always came together and it was magnificent, as is your culminating project. Good for you! I wish you well with continuing success in your program. Have a wonderful December! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your digital storytelling assignment. I teach second grade and decided to only require Prezi. I will look into Microsoft photo 3 as another option rather than Prezi. I do agree with you that this was frustrating at times. I had a hard time making my first wiki that I created public. I am glad that I did complete the assignment. I do agree that a digital storytelling assignment can include more subjects, than just one. I incorporated writing, reading, and social studies into my digital storytelling assignment. I think digital storytelling projects are going to be a new introduction into education and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,

    YOU DID IT! Wow, your wiki is so thorough and complete. I especially like your lesson plan page. From an outside perspective, this would be an excellent resource to stumble across if I was looking for a project idea to use in my own classroom. I think that, more than anything, is a mark of a job well done!

    Congratulations on finishing with success :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your project is amazing! Your students will love participating in this assignment, and your digital story will certainly get them excited. I love your example and I also followed up on your wiki site. I like how your example narrated from the penguin's point of view; that will certainly grab their attention as it did mine. Your curriculum page, lesson plan and rubric were very thorough and easy to follow. Also, the students will really appreciate that you provided them with links to research sites! And I can completely relate to your frustrations throughout this culminating project! Although it's been tough at times, you clearly persevered and created an outstanding assignment that your students are sure to love! Thank you for sharing!

    Best wishes,
    Kim H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the theme of your project. I can imagine how curious the kids will be when they watching it. Your Prezi is amazing, it is attractive to me, when I was trying to watch it through kids' view, it was very interesting. Congratulations to your wonderful work. Thanks for sharing!

    Yun

    ReplyDelete